Friday, May 29, 2009

Neil's Single Fin Eggy!



1. Your Name: Neil

2. Your Brand name: Don’t have one.

3. How did you hear about us? Browsing the web.

4. How was your initial experience at Foam E-Z? It was good…got everything I needed and could afford to build my own board.

5. Why did you want to build your own board? Watched “North Shore” one too many times I guess.

6. Shape of finished board? Single fin Eggy.

7. Size of finished board: Length 5’10” Nose 17” Width 22” Tail 17” Thickness 2 ¾”

8. What blank did you use? US Blanks 6’2” A fish.

9. How was your board building experience? Excellent and time consuming…didn’t use a single power tool all hand planer and sandpaper…built shaping racks with a hand saw and 2 x 4’s too.

10. Did you use videos, books, web, other? All of it.

11. What videos, books, web, other did you use? Shaping 101 and Glassing 101…some different books…swaylocks.com is a lifesaver.

12. Do you recommend these resources? yes

13. What do you wish you knew going into this project? How to glass better.

14. What would you recommend to someone else for their first time? Have fun and don’t worry if it doesn’t turn out perfect Mine is far from perfect, but its so much fun to surf and so rewarding.

15. What tools did you find most useful? Planer, calipers, sand paper.

16. Where did you run into trouble? Glassing…cutting down humidity and keeping a stable temperature.

17. What kind of fin system did you use and why? O fish l single fin box…it was the easiest…get it set…glass over it…sand the cover off...i wanted to make a single fin.

18. Did you glass the board and what was that experience like? I did…it was a little sketchy at first but I got the hang of it…ended up pretty smooth except where the top and bottom overlapped near the rails.

19. Where did you shape and glass your board? Shaped on my back porch and glassed in the break room at my office (don’t tell anyone)…It was the best place I could find where I could really control the temp.

20. What type of board do you want to make next? I was thinking a quad fish but I bought one instead…now I'm thinking SUP.

21. Extra info: Building your own board was so much fun…cant wait to do it again.

No comments: