Wednesday, August 3, 2011

NYADA SURFBOARDS by Andy Byrne


1. Your Name: Andy Byrne

2. Your Brand name: Nyada Surfboards

3. How did you hear about us? Not sure..Internet most likely

4. How was your initial experience at Foam E-Z? Great, everyone is super helpful.
5. Why did you want to build your own board? Save money and learn something that would ultimately be very useful for my hobby and my friends hobby.

6. Shape of finished board? LongBoard

7. Size of finished board: Length 9'1'' Width 21'' Thickness just under 3'' at mid point.

8. What blank did you use? US BLANK Blue Density
9. How was your board building experience? This was my 5th board and first longboard. It went a lot smoother than the other four. Thinking maybe since I usually ride longer boards I maybe knew a bit more of what the end result should be.

10. Did you use videos, books, web, other? I spent a lot of time watching clips on the web, reading blogs. Ryan Lovelace, Gato. John Wesley is doing some great shapes. I think just constantly looking at boards that inspire you is a great source of reference. Above all that is simply just doing it...and most likely eating it on the first 2 or 3 shapes.

11. What videos, books, web, other did you use? Youtube/Vimeo, I found that watching a lot of DIY vids that people have put online show what not to do. Ha!
12. Do you recommend these resources? Of course. The more research the better.
13. What do you wish you knew going into this project? That my respirator was only for fumes! not fumes and particles. Wear a respirator!

14. What would you recommend to someone else for their first time? Try to do it as right as you can the first time, because each step is dependent on the previous. Also..keep it simple. I did pigment my first try, but it wasn't til the 2nd board that I realized it is what made the board look like a disaster.

15. What tools did you find most useful? Surforms
16. Where did you run into trouble? I've ran into trouble trying to add too many elements into the board. Going to keep the next board a clear sanded finish.

17. What kind of fin system did you use and why? I stuck with the single fin on this one.

18. Did you glass the board and what was that experience like? I did glass it. This one was better than the others. Smooth and glossy. I spent a lot of time making sure the board was dust free before glassing this time and it definitely helps.

19. Where did you shape and glass your board? My garage which now looks like a meth lab!
20. What type of board do you want to make next? Got a couple friends that want a copy of this one. So looks like the next two will be like this one.

No comments: