Thursday, January 21, 2010

WHITNEY SURFBOARDS, she's a girl!!!




1. Your Name:
Whitney Lang

2. Your Brand name: Whitney

3. How did you hear about us? My friend and mentor, Ken and the Internet

4. How was your initial experience at Foam E-Z? I felt welcomed and slightly overwhelmed with all that they have to offer!

5. Why did you want to build your own board? I actually shaped my 4th and 5th boards at Foam E-Z because I was venturing out on my own from my mentor to apply what I’ve been learning. I love shaping and starting to love glassing..

6. Shape of finished board? One of the boards was a 6’0” performance shortboard and the second was a 9’0” fatty longboard which I love so much…

7. Size of finished board: The longboard… Length: 9’0” Nose: 18.5” Width: 23” Tail Thickness: 3”

8. What blank did you use? For the long board I used the US Blanks First Yater 9’3”

9. How was your board building experience? Great! I love working at Foam E-Z! I even got to rock out to Grant’s Britney Spears collection while I mowed foam!

10. Did you use videos, books, web, other? I have trolled Swaylocks Surfboard Design mostly to get information. Also its nice to have friends and mentors who are just a phone call away!

11. What videos, books, web, other did you use? Essential Surfing by George Orbelian is helpful. Also used Grant haha.

12. Do you recommend these resources? Yes! Definitely beneficial to talk to someone knowledgeable to get real world experience, opinions on shapes, and fin setups.

13. What do you wish you knew going into this project? How to shape long board rails accurately. They are tough!

14. What would you recommend to someone else for their first time? Be very careful and accurate when cutting out the template because the outline is very important. Don’t over shape the rails and use caution with the planer.

15. What tools did you find most useful? Electric planer, surform, and sanding block.

16. Where did you run into trouble? When cutting the outline and truing it up.

17. What kind of fin system did you use and why? It’s a single fin.. because they are awesome.

18. Did you glass the board and what was that experience like? No this is the first board I didn’t glass.

19. Where did you shape and glass your board? I shaped at Foam E-Z’s rad shaping bay!

20. What type of board do you want to make next? Looking to make a 7’6” mini mal thing… I love the wide nose and single fin feel. This next board will need more rocker so I can enter steeper waves.

21. Feel free to add any other input or interesting information you’d like… Brad and Grant are awesome. Support your local shaper! Ohh yeah, I’m a girl!

No comments: